Tensions hit fever pitch as doctors hold mass street rally
Marriages in Korea fall by 40% within a decade
[KH explains] Why is S. Korea mulling ease on marriage ban between blood relatives?
Govt. takes steps to suspend licenses of some 7,000 defiant trainee doctors
Global tech titans rush to visit Seoul to win AI leadership
[From the Scene] Day of Rage: Doctors resist pressure to bend
40% of Korea's female workers say they were paid less due to their gender
[Herald Review] ‘My Name is Loh Kiwan’ a weak drama with soppy ending
Top 0.1% of Korea's employees averaged 685m won each in yearly bonuses: report
[Exclusive] Singaporean businessman David Yong to establish K-pop label in S. Korea this year
Bills in Focus
[Bills in Focus] Gimpo-Seoul merger proposal, cord blood use for regenerative medicineBy Korea Herald
Published : Dec. 11, 2023 - 15:14
Proposed bill: Special Act on the Change of Jurisdiction of Gyeonggi Province and Seoul Metropolitan City
Proposed by Rep. Cho Kyoung-tae (People Power Party)
● Due to its geographical location, Gimpo citizens interact more with Seoul than other parts of Gyeonggi Province, with a high percentage of its population commuting from Gimpo to Seoul. Therefore, this bill aims to resolve the disparity between the administrative district and the actual activity space of Gimpo citizens by excluding Gimpo from the jurisdiction of Gyeonggi Province and establishing Gimpo-gu as a part of Seoul Metropolitan City from Jan. 1, 2025
Proposed bill: Partial Amendment to the Act on Cord Blood Management and Research
Proposed by Rep. Hong Suk-joon (People Power Party)
● While the global interest in the potential application of cord blood in regenerative medicine has recently, Korea currently limits its use to transplantation. This amendment establishes the legal basis for using cord blood in advanced regenerative medicine and allows the usage of qualified cord blood in clinical studies.
Pending bill: Partial Amendment to the Corporate Restructuring Promotion Act
Proposed by Rep. Yun Chang-hyun (People Power Party)
● The Corporate Restructuring Promotion Act has been an effective way for business normalization through the creditors’ autonomous decisions. Therefore, this amendment postpones the expiration date of the Corporate Restructuring Promotion Act until Dec. 31, 2027, to minimize the potential economic crisis caused by business insolvency.
Promulgated bill: Enforcement Decree of the Hydrogen Economy Promotion and Hydrogen Safety Management Act
Competent Authority: Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy
● This bill classifies hydrogen into five levels based on the volume of greenhouse gases emitted during their production and importation and prescribes the certification, assessment and designation of clean hydrogen evaluation institutions.
Administrative announcement: Partial Amendment to the Enforcement Decree of the Personal Information Protection Act
Competent Authority: Personal Information Protection Commission
● This amendment introduces the right of data subjects to refuse decisions made automatically by AI technologies and to request an explanation. It also strengthens the qualification requirements for chief privacy officers, mandating at least three years of experience in the personal information protection field and at least six years of experience in related areas such as information protection.
The Korea Herald republishes a weekly legislative report by local law firm DR & AJU LLC to provide the latest information on bills approved, proposed, pending and set to be promulgated. -- Ed.
For any queries about the bills, contact email@example.com.
Articles by Korea Herald
[Election 2024] How will general election outcome play out for Yoon?
Seoul starts to suspend license of 7,000 unreturned doctors
Mainstream factions dominate as election candidates