South Korea’s fertility rate drops to new low
[Chung Chan-seung] The collapse of trust: South Korea's true health care crisis
[KH Explains] Why doctors refuse to bend despite lack of public support
[Herald Interview] Rival heir to Kim Ju-ae unlikely to appear: unification minister
[KH Explains] What does Apple's dead car project mean for Samsung, Hyundai?
Netmarble offloads KakaoBank shares worth W113b ahead of casino game buyBy Park Ga-young
Published : Aug. 26, 2021 - 14:05
This is the second time the mobile game company unloaded its holding in KakaoBank after it sold 6 million shares for 430 billion won on Aug. 10, just days after the internet-only bank successfully made its market debut on Aug. 6.
After the two rounds of offloading, it still holds 7.61 million shares, valued at about 625 billion won based on Wednesday’s closing price of 82,100 won.
Netmarble joined the consortium of the internet-only bank at the very early stage in 2016 and invested a total of 91.7 billion won in the company.
Industry sources are saying that Netmarble will use the proceedings to complete the acquisition of SpinX, a Hong Kong-based social casino game company, valued at 2.5 trillion won. The company had said that it would utilize 1.78 trillion won from its cash holding and loans to buy SpinX, a deal announced earlier this month. Netmarble plans to pay 80 percent of the 2.5 trillion won by Sept. 17 and the remaining 20 percent over four years.
In addition to KakaoBank, the company also sold all of its holdings in Kakao Games, some 3.21 million shares, in a block deal on Aug. 12, securing 253.6 billion won.
Shares in Netmarble declined 6.25 percent as of 2 p.m. on Thursday.
S. Korea, US discuss NK's definition of S. Korea as 'hostile' country
Why doctors refuse to bend despite lack of public support
Cho, Blinken pledge 'watertight' response to any NK provocations