Haemul pajeon (Institute of Traditional Korean Food)
Haemul pajeon is a savory pancake with plenty of green onion and seafood coated with mushy dough and beaten egg on top. Haemul pajeon is a well-harmonized dish that is studded with soft green onions and tasty seafood. Dongnae-pajeon is a famous variety from the city of Busan.
● 100g mussel meat, 70g clam meat, 70g oysters : 5 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt
● seasonings : 1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
● 200g small green onion, 1 ea green pepper, 1 red pepper
● dough : 1 cup wheat flour, 1/3 cup non-glutinous rice powder, 1/4 salt, 1 cup water
● 1 egg
● 1/2 cup edible oil
● vinegar soy sauce : 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp water
1. Wash seafood in salt water, and drain on a strainer (190g). Shred into 1 cm-wide pieces, season with salt and ground black pepper, then let sit for 10 min.
2. Cut the green/red pepper 2 cm-long and 0.3 cm-thick diagonally and seed. Trim and wash small green onion, cut into 10 cm-long (150 g).
3. Add non-glutinous rice powder, salt and water to the wheat flour, then mix thoroughly (270g).
4. Beat egg.
5. Blend vinegar soy sauce.
6. Preheat the frying pan and oil. On medium heat, put half ladle of dough on the pan.
7. Place small green onion on the dough and add prepared seafoods, green/red pepper. Spread out another half ladle of dough, and spread 2~3 tbsp of beaten egg over it.
8. On medium heat, panfry for 5 min. When bottom is well done, turn over, cover the lid, fry for another 3 min.
9. Serve with vinegar soy sauce.
● For “Dongrae” green onion pancake, non-glutinous rice powder or glutinous rice powder with anchovies soup may be added into the dough.
●Beaten egg may be an option upon taste.
(Adapted from the Institute of Traditional Korean Food)