NATIONAL

Justice nominee apologizes, refuses to quit

By Kim Bo-gyung

With no parliamentary hearing agreed, Cho holds press conference to answer allegations on daughter’s college admissions, family investments

  • Published : Sept 2, 2019 - 19:18
  • Updated : Sept 2, 2019 - 20:29

Justice Minister nominee Cho Kuk apologized for failing to properly oversee his daughter’s college applications and family’s investments.

“I apologize to the public. I have disappointed you despite the expectations placed on me, which were more than I deserved.” Cho said in a press conference Monday at the National Assembly.

“I am a wreck, but I will continue as long as I can. … I believe I have to complete what I have worked for my entire life. If I had thought to earn more money or desired a position, I would not be here.”

Cho called an unprecedented press conference after the National Assembly’s Legislation and Judiciary Committee failed to agree on a confirmation hearing for Cho earlier in the day.

“I had dreamt of progressivism and reform since my younger days and I made my best efforts for it. I have tried to be a reformist, but I have not been thorough with issues related to my child and issues surrounding me. I think I was complacent,” Cho said.

“I was not able to apply my beliefs in all aspects of my life. I have to take the heat about inconsistency.”

A key criticism Cho faces is that his actions are inconsistent with his reputation and career as figure at the forefront of progressive policies and reform. 

Justice Minister nominee Cho Kuk bows during a news conference at the National Assembly on Monday afternoon. (Yonhap)

The alleged privileges his daughter received in the college admissions process and his decision to sign up to invest some 7.5 billion won ($6.2 million) in a private equity fund have come under attack.

Amid escalating tensions, public’s support for Cho rose 3.1 percentage points to 42.3 percent in the latest survey by local pollster Realmeter.

But more than half of the 504 adults surveyed on Aug. 30 disagreed with Cho’s appointment, totaling 54.3 percent.

Cho said he was unsure why his daughter had received scholarships despite her poor academic record, and apologized to young people from financially struggling backgrounds.

Cho added he did not know how a private equity fund functioned until the controversy arose over his family’s 7.5 billion won investment agreement in a private equity fund, which exceeded the family’s total wealth, which amounts to some 5.5 billion won.

The Liberty Korea Party lambasted the press conference, referring to it as a “trick” to lay the groundwork for President Moon Jae-in to finalize Cho’s nomination without a confirmation hearing.

The ruling and main opposition parties had originally decided to hold Cho’s confirmation hearing on Monday and Tuesday, but had argued over who could be summoned as witnesses.

Earlier in the day, Liberty Korea Party withdrew its demand to summon Cho’s entire family to the confirmation hearing given the possibility that President Moon Jae-in could use his authority to appoint Cho as the justice minister without one.

By Kim Bo-gyung (lisakim425@heraldcorp.com)


Related Stories