NATIONAL

South Korean confirmed dead in quake-hit Mexico

By Yonhap
  • Published : Sept 20, 2017 - 20:30
  • Updated : Sept 20, 2017 - 20:30

SEOUL/MEXICO CITY (Yonhap) -- South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said Wednesday a South Korean national was found dead from a massive earthquake that hit Mexico earlier this week.

A 7.1-magnitude quake shook central Mexico on Tuesday (local time). Media reports indicate that nearly 250 people have been confirmed dead.

(AP-Yonhap)

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it confirmed the death of a 41-year-old South Korean man surnamed Lee.

An official from the ministry said Seoul’s Mexico embassy received a report of an Asian victim in Mexico City who was later confirmed to be Lee.

Currently, around 5,900 Koreans are residing in Mexico City, one of the hardest-hit areas in the country, according to the foreign ministry.

Prime Minister Lee Nak-yon ordered the foreign ministry to offer the necessary consular assistance to the victim’s family, his office said.

The prime minister also requested the ministry to keep track of the situation in Mexico to prevent further harm to South Koreans.